FAQs & GUIDELINES
1. WHAT IS CINEFILIPINO?
CINEFILIPINO is a film festival that aims to support and develop new cinematic, audience-friendly works of artistic merit by up-and-coming and established filmmakers to help define the human experience through a Filipino perspective. It’s a venue for different stakeholders in the industry to showcase and develop their respective talents and make the Filipinos more globally competitive.
2. WHO IS BEHIND THE CINEFILIPINO FILM Festival™ 2017?
The CineFilipino Film Festival™ 2017 is a project organized and led by Unitel Productions, Inc. in partnership with Cignal, Inc.
3. WHAT ARE THE FEATURES OF THE CINEFILIPINO FILM FESTIVAL™?The festival features a competition for feature-length movies, short feature films (Student Short Feature and Open Short Feature categories), and digital content.
4. ARE THERE ANY THEMATIC REQUIREMENTS AS FAR AS THE NARRATIVES ARE CONCERNED?
The projects should be narratives that delve into the Filipino identity and culture.
5. WHAT ARE THE COMPETITION CATEGORIES?
There are three (3) major competition categories:
- Feature-Length Narrative Category
Short Feature Category, with the following sub-categories:
- Student Short Feature
- Non-Student Short Feature
- Digital Content Category
6. HOW MANY FINALISTS WILL BE CHOSEN PER CATEGORY?
Finalists selection is as follows:
- Feature-Length Category: EIGHT (8) Finalists
Short Feature Category
- Student Sub-Category: ELEVEN (11) Finalists
- Open Short Feature Category: ELEVEN (11) Finalists
- Digital Content Category: ELEVEN (11) Finalists
7. WHEN IS THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES?
All entries/submissions to the Feature-Length Category should be submitted NOT LATER than APRIL 17, 2017.
Deadline of submission in the Short Feature and Digital Content Categories is on AUGUST 30, 2017.
8. HOW MUCH IS THE SEED MONEY?
The finalists in the Feature-length Category shall receive a grant amounting to TWO MILLION PESOS (PhP2,000,000.00) Only. No grant will be given to Short Feature Category and Digital Content Category finalists. However, cash prizes will be given out to the finalists of the latter two categories.
9. WHAT ARE THE PRIZES FOR THE FESTIVAL WINNERS?
The winners in each category shall receive the following PRIZES:
- 1st Prize Winner – PHP600,000.00 (Six Hundred Thousand Pesos)
- 2nd Prize Winner – PHP300,000.00 (Three Hundred Thousand Pesos)
- 3rd Prize Winner – PHP150,000.00 (One Hundred Fifty Thousand Pesos)
Short Feature Category
- Best Short Feature (Student Sub-Category) – PHP100,000.00
- Ten (10) runners-up - PHP55,000.00
- Best Short Feature (Open Sub-Category) - PHP170,000.00
- Ten (10) runners-up - PHP70,000.00
- Student Sub-Category
Digital Content Category
- One (1) Best Digital Content - PhP50,000.00
- Ten (10) Runners-up - PHP20,000.00
10. ALL THE WINNING ENTRIES WILL BE SCREENED DURING THE FESTIVAL WEEK.
11. WHO HOLDS/OWN THE RIGHTS TO THE FILM?
Proponents/entrants understand and agree that when they are selected as finalists and/ or winners of the CineFilipino Film Festival™, they shall be required to enter into agreements with the CineFilipino Film Festival™ 2017 Organizing Committee for the exercise of, and the assignment of intellectual property rights and all the other rights to their film entries for uses contemplated and agreed upon by the parties.
Note that the CineFilipino Film Festival Organizing Committee holds the interest of the filmmaker(s)/entrant(s) with utmost importance in the crafting of the agreements.
1. CAN I JOIN IF I AM RELATED* TO ONE OF THE MEMBERS OF THE CINEFILIPINO FILM Festival™ 2017 ORGANIZING COMMITTEE?
You cannot join if you are a member of the CineFilipino Film FesCval™ committee or be
on an exclusive contract with or be a full-Cme employee of the CineFilipino Organizing
Commieee - Unitel ProducCons, Inc., CignalTV, PLDT-SMART FoundaCon, Inc. and its
affiliates, or be related* to any of their employees and staff.
Note: *related includes common-law spouse, as well as in-laws, and any blood relaCon up to the second degree of consanguinity or affinity.
2. HOW MANY ENTRIES CAN I SUBMIT PER CATEGORY?
Proponents/Entrants in the FEATURE-LENGTH CATEGORY may submit a maximum of three (3) entries.
Proponents/Entrants in the SHORT FEATURE SECTION - OPEN CATEGORY, may submit up to two (2) entries.
For the SHORT FEATURE SECTION - STUDENT CATEGORY, each participating school may submit a maximum of five (5) entries.
Proponents/Entrants in the DIGITAL CATEGORY may submit up to three (3) entries.
3. CAN THE WORK/PROJECT/CONTENT BE SHOWN IN OTHER LOCAL FILM FESTIVALS BEFORE CINEFILIPINO?
All works must have their premiere screening at the CineFilipino Film FesCvalTM 2017.
4. CAN I SUBMIT AN ENTRY/A PROJECT THAT STARTED PRODUCTION ALREADY?
Projects already in production phase by JANUARY 2017 are eligible to join
5. IN WHAT FORMAT SHOULD THE ENTRIES BE SUBMITTED ONCE THEY HAVE BEEN COMPLETED?
All FINAL FEATURE-LENGTH CATEGORY entries/submissions must be submitted in both data file format AND in print.
All SHORT FEATURE SECTION and DIGITAL CONTENT CATEGORY entries/submissions must be submitted in Playable DVD AND data file formats.
Application forms and other documentary attachments must be submitted in print and in soft copies.
6. IS THERE A CEILING FOR THE FINAL PRODUCTION COST IN OF THE FEATURE-LENGTH FILM?
The total production budget for the feature-length films should NOT exceed THREE MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND PESOS (Php3.5 Million). Any production exceeding this aforementioned amount may be subject to penalty or disqualification based on the film festival committee’s sole discretion.
7. AM I ALLOWED TO USE REGIONAL DIALECTS FOR MY FILM, IN TERMS OF DIALOGUE?
Dialogue may be primarily in Filipino or any Philippine Dialect. Use of English, Spanish or other languages is also acceptable as appropriate to its material. However, if any dialogue in the script is written in any dialect or language other than Filipino or English, entrants MUST provide corresponding Filipino or English translation, along with the submitted script.
8. WHAT’S THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CINEFILIPINO FILM Festival™ IN THE SHARING OF AWARDS AND/OR PRIZE MONEY FOR WINNERS?
The CineFilipino Film Festival™ Organizing Committee and any of its officers, stakeholders, board, or employees, shall not be liable, legally and/or in any other manner, for any controversy regarding the sharing of awards, monetary and/or otherwise, among the members of each production group.
9. WILL WE BE REQUIRED TO DESIGNATE A REPRESENTATIVE FOR OUR FILM/ENTRY?
The proponent(s)/entrant(s) must designate the film’s Executive Producer, or Producer, to act on behalf of the production team. The representative may also be the proponent/ entrant him/herself. All official communications shall be addressed to that particular representative.
10. WHAT ARE THE STIPULATIONS FOR CLEARANCES OF ANY COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL?
It is the sole responsibility of each proponent/entrant to secure the relevant clearances of any material (e.g., music, images, audiovisual works, and the like) from the copyright owners/holders of any copyrighted material used in his/her entry. The CineFilipino Film Festival™ Organizing Committee and Unitel nor any of its board, managers, officers, or employee shall not be held responsible for the unauthorized inclusion of any copyrighted material within any entry. The proponent/entrant shall likewise ensure that all the performances and contributions of each performer, contributor and participant in the film entry are cleared for all use in all media and platforms worldwide and in perpetuity. The CineFilipino Film Festival™ Organizing Committee reserves the right to disqualify any film entry with any unauthorized inclusion of copyrighted materials or for the non-submission of the complete clearances from all performers, contributors and participants in the film entry.
11. WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF SELECTION
- A Selection Committee will be formed to review all submissions/entries in all categories.
- Once done the Selection Committee then comes out with a short list for each category.
- Further reading and preview of all the submissions will be done until the finalists are determined in all the categories.
- Once all the finalists are identified, they may now start with the production of the screenplay/script for the feature-length category. For the Short Feature Section and Digital Content Category, the selection committees will determine the final 11 for each category and then deliberate on the Best Short Feature Film (Student and Open Categories), and Best Digital Content. There will be ten (10) runners-up in each of these categories i.e. Open Short Feature, Student Short Feature, and Digital Content.
ANG KWENTO MO!